Wednesday 4 December 2013

Conquistador Characters

I decided to design some conquistador type characters quite early on. I wanted them to be well proportioned and quite un-stylised. This would keep them as distinct characters from the God Quetzacoatl and also, ungodly. Which is important for the story. My first inspiration for the look of these characters came from historical illustrations.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Conquistador_Pedro_de_Alvarado.JPG





I really liked the symbolic aspect of the morian helmet and thought it was an important thing to apply to my own characters. 


Another big influence was Werner Herzogs film Aguirre, The Wrath of God. I then experiemented with different shapes for characters 


And cartoony looks. 



Before settling on something a little less humorous. I still think the design could use some more realism injected but I'm happy with the proportions, so perhaps the refining could be left until modelling as I dont really have more time for it now.

















No comments:

Post a Comment